Thursday, August 7, 2008

Vacationing and moving

It's been a busy week or two. We flew up to Sweden last tuesday, stopped by Angelica's parents for a day, then had two days with my family on Öland, a large island off the Baltic sea coast in the southern parts of Sweden, and then came up to Stockholm, where we installed ourselves in a student dorm.

Naturally, we haven't had much time to cook and even less to take pictures of food. But it feels rude not to give you anything at all, dear reader. So I dug up a couple of nice shots from Öland, one of the dog, and one of my first own apartment, 2.5 years and six addresses ago.


View Larger Map

This is the location of Böda on northern Öland, where my family has been vacationing for several decades.


IMG_2675

Himmelsberga is a very typical Öland village, now preserved as an open air museum.


IMG_2690

Öland is a unique place, very beautiful and calm. Depicted here is Ramsnäs, a beach on the west coast of the island.


IMG_6290

Tesla, named after legendary Serb inventor/scientist Nikola Tesla, is the last of the once three-dogs-strong pack that my parents keep. Luckily, the rumors are telling me there might be a puppy in the near future, to keep Tesla company. This picture shows Tesla engaging me in one of her favourite activities: you loop a finger around her fang, and she tries to pull you towards something fun, like a ball.


IMG_1618

Moving homes is always a stressful activity. I left my parents' home in January 2006 in order to move to this little student room with the beautiful view. Since then I've lived in two locations in Stockholm, and three in Munich. Since this weekend, I'm at my third address in Stockholm, and as of September, I'll move into my fourth apartment in Munich. It's a nomadic life, but at least it means I make sure to travel light, and don't hoard unneccesary stuff. It's also helped me learn to utilize my sparse kitchen equipment to its full capacity, instead of perpetually buying new gadgets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not your parents dog, it's your sisters dog!

del said...

That's funny, 'cause I could swear that the dog lives with my parents...

Anonymous said...

love reading your blog! keep going!